Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Day in the Life: Brichelle



Brichelle is from Nanoose Bay, Canada. She is currently a dancer with Ballet Victoria (Victoria, BC). We both met when we were 15, when we had both just moved away from home to study at the Goh Ballet Academy. After 3 years of dancing together at the Goh, going to early morning classes at school, and going through the ups and downs that come with growing up, we finally graduated. Brichelle went to China with two other friends (Cheston and Takeaki) for a year to study at the Liaoning Ballet in Shenyang, China while I started YBC with the Goh. Known for her amazing arabesque, beautiful extensions, and friendly, down to earth attitude, she is one of those people that you never really lose touch with no matter where in the world you are!
What does your daily schedule look like?
Well my daily schedule is a little bit all over the place right now, which drives me crazy!!! I like to do my physiotherapy exercises at 8ish, after which I bike to my technique class that starts at 9:00. With Ballet Victoria we have rehearsal for a few hours, a lunch break from 1-2 and then we rehearse until 4:00 p.m. After this I head off to work at a grocery store from 5-10. I also work on the weekends. 
My favorite schedule was when I was in China because all I had to think about was dance! We woke up at 6:00 a.m. for a run, then I would go to 2 ballet classes, (mens’ first and then girls’ class) before lunch break. After lunch I would do some exercises, abs and such and I would have a pointe class and variations rehearsal. Some days we also had character class. After dinner Cheston and Takeaki and I would do our crazy routine covering stretching and all our strengthening exercises until it was lights out at 10:00 p.m!
What type of pointe shoes do you wear, how long do they last and how do you break them in?
I wear Bloch aspirations in a 6C. They last about 2 weeks. I wear them once to bend the top of the shank and I put jet glue in the bottom of the shank after they have conformed to my feet. 
What is your favourite leotard?
I really like my Larissa yumiko and the Jessica yumiko with sleeves! They both have a pink “jazz” trim and they are very comfortable!!
Who is your favourite dancer?
DREW JACOBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What has been your favorite piece to perform?
I really enjoyed the solo I did this year choreographed by Paul Destrooper. The piece I did was called Le Plat Pays, all of the songs were done by Jacques Brel. Every piece in this work was really nice to dance! I also really enjoyed dancing in Rise by Toru Shimazaki, there was something really uplifting about that piece!

What has been the toughest challenge you have had to face so far?
  The toughest challenge I have had to face so far was definitely getting back in shape after my stress fracture. I had taken three months off -which isn't to bad really- but had an all or nothing attitude and had done nothing to maintain my strength. Coming back to dance was tough both physically and emotionally, but it was mostly a mind game! I still feel like I am recovering emotionally from taking time off, which is really strange! I feel like any sport or art form is far more of a mental challenge than a physical one. You NEED a strong mind and a lot of willpower, or you will never be as successful and happy with your dancing career as you could be! 

This is Brichelle with one of her teachers -Sasha- in China,

 Could you tell us a little bit about your experience in China? What advice would you give students wanting to study there?

China was amazing!!!!! I loved everything about my experience there and I am so lucky to have amazing people in my life that made it possible!!! The dancers there are beautiful and the attitude when training was awesome as well!!! There are no excuses, and the students are not babied like we are in Canada and the US. I feel like I went there with some of the wrong intentions though. I wanted to come back being a crazy asian dancer, with perfect lines and perfect everything!! It got to be a bit much at times as I lost some passion for dancing, going in every day standing beside gorgeous dancers that I could not look like even if I starved myself! You have to approach dance with a positive mindset everyday!!! Working to make your body the best you can be!!! You have to be healthy. I got quite carried away in China, some days just drinking juice for all of my meals!!! It was a bit ridiculous! Many of the girls there didn't have the passion for ballet, because the training was so grueling. I loved that all I had to think about was ballet though!! The studios were massive, and you could practice all the time! Everyone I met there was so extremely good to me, I really miss it, my teachers were unreal, and I would of liked to have stayed longer. But at the same time feel like it was good to figure things out for myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment