Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Day in the Life: Hannah



 Hannah is originally comes from Montana, but has trained at the Goh Ballet Academy for the past five years. When we first met we barely ever talked to each other (she was a level above me), but over the years of RAD exams, performances, and competitions we gradually became really close friends. Hannah is known for her outgoing personality, great sense of enthusiasm and breathtaking contemporary work. She is tremendously hard-working and always the first one to take on any new challenge.
Q: What is your current daily schedule?
A: My daily schedule changes slightly from day to day depending on the teachers and classes that are being offered. I am staying in New York City for the summer and I am training at Steps on Broadway! I have enjoyed having such a selection and variety.
I wake up fairly early...about 7:15 AM and I do my hair and make up. I then eat breakfast and organize my lunch to go. I leave my apartment at about 9:00 AM and arrive at the studio by 9:30 AM or slightly earlier. I take morning ballet followed by a dancers Yoga or Pilates class. I have also taken the Advanced Contemporary Jazz class taught by Suzi Taylor which is incredible and a few other classes I have never tried like floor barre. 
Q: Most memorable rehearsal ever? 
A: My most memorable rehearsal would have to be the Willis rehearsal we had for Giselle coached by Mr. Chen at the Goh Ballet Academy back in 2007. He was by far the most strict teacher I have ever had and was known for his precision in all the pieces he rehearsed. 
We had attended a couple rehearsals prior to map out where each of us stood and what the steps and counts were. On this particular day we begun rehearsal without music allowing for us to recap what the counts and steps were. 
We first ran parts without music making sure everyone was sure of the count. As it got cleaner and we then ran the different casts with music. After, we were all feeling fairly confident and so we were asked to dance the entire piece.....roughly 25 minutes! 
Just as we were getting into the more difficult corps parts, Mr. Chen, sat at the front of the studio and starting pounding this giant wooden stick on the dance floor so we all could hear the timing. He stopped the music numerous times to repeat parts over and correct the mistakes he saw. This lasted for well over an hour and a half and we had started to go over time.
Suddenly, while we were rehearsing the arabesque hop section in Act 2 of Giselle (which most ballet dancers are familiar with) he threw this huge wooden stick across the room slamming it right against the barre on the far side of the studio. We all froze in terror and the room got completely silent. 
I hadn't experienced something so frightening in a rehearsal before.....After another moment of silence he told us that until we could do better there was no point in the rehearsal continuing on.... We were finished for the day.....thankfully.
Q: Favorite leotard?
A: My favorite leotard would have to be my first Yumiko! The base is expresso brown and the trim is dusty rose. The style is Daniela. I absolutely love it! 
Hannah wearing her favourite leotard.
Q: What brand of pointe shoes do you wear and how do you break them in?
A: I am currently wearing Mirella pointe shoes. I have struggled with finding the right pointe shoe for years and it has been my shoe of choice for a couple years now. It is very light weight and requires hardly breaking it in at all. I bend the the shank where my arch is at its highest and then press down the top of the box until its snug against my toes. I have found it to work out great, lasting me roughly 3 weeks. 
Q: What was your best on-stage experience?
A: I don't feel I have had one particular on-stage experience that stands out to me than all the rest. What I can say is that you really can't beat the feeling when you step off stage into the wings and you knew that you really gave every ounce of your energy into your performance. I feel so inspired and happy- I thrive for this very feeling!
Q: Favorite part of class?
A: I have to say I do really enjoy barre. It feels great to concentrate on different parts of your body....frappes are my favorite! 
In the center I love grande allegro. You are your warmest at this point and get to move across the floor...I find this the most enjoyable!




Thank you Hannah! I will miss you! <3

2 comments:

  1. Most interesting to read your new blogs. Dancing at this level is incredibly demanding . Love . Gran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when are you going to to do some more posts? I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete