Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Day in the Life: Danielle


Danielle Gould is a dancer from North Vancouver. Currently she is dancing with the Goh Ballet Youth Company, but will be attending the Stuttgart ballet school next year on full scholarship. Amongst an extremely long list of achievements she was a finalist in the YAGP finals, has completed her Solo Seal, and has received numerous scholarships from the Vancouver Ballet Society, BC Arts Council and Hnatyshyn Foundation to name a few. Her long legs, incredible flexibility, delicate frame and extremely dedicated work attitude really make her stand out in class. Please take a look at her youtube channel to see her dance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjOujm0k_c&feature=related
What does your daily schedule look like?
Usually I dance 5-7 hours a day and 6 to 7 days a week. Right now I am doing summer school so my schedule is a little different from that of the regular year. Right now my schedule is generally 9-3 and the classes are a combination of; daily ballet class, pointe/variations and pas de deux plus some contemporary, musical theater and Pilates. During the year I have a very similar schedule of classes plus many other rehearsals or private coaching.
What type of pointe shoes do you wear and how do you break them in?
I wear Bloch Aspirations. I absolutely love these shoes and have been wearing them for about 3 years. I really don't have to do too much major breaking in of my shoes, basically right after I have sewn them I step on the box, to help alleviate the extra pressure on my bunions. Then I break in the demi-pointe of the shoe and the arch with my hands and they are ready to go. I don't like to bang the box as I like my box harder than my shank.
What is you favorite part of class?
Hmm. Well I think I would have to say that my absolute favorite part of class is adage, pirouettes and traveling exercises across the floor in center. But I also enjoy barre as that is where I can really focus on my center and technique, as well as get a good warm up. Basically I really do love doing class, so I enjoy every part. 
What is your favorite variation?
I like a lot of variations as each role requires a different character, and each time you perform a variation you gain a better feel for the character and the elements of the variation. Some of my favorites would be Giselle Act 1, Sleeping Beauty, Don Quixote Dream Scene Var. and Talisman variation. 
Most memorable onstage experience?
I absolutely love performing on stage and I have had many memorable experiences on stage. My first very memorable experience was my first performance of Snow Queen in the Nutcracker, and others include performing through out China, competing in New York and performing Les Sylphides, White Swan pdd and Talisman pas de deux.
Favorite leotard brand?
Well let me just start by saying that you know how people collect things like antiques and stamps, well I collect leotards. I mean i don't just hang them on my wall -I do wear them like every day for more than 3 hours a day- but I do love my variety of leotards. Some of my favorite brands include Yumiko, Bloch, Ainslie Wear and Capezio. 
You are vegan? Do you have any advice for dancers with dietary restrictions?
Yes, I am a Vegan but I also have severe dairy allergy. I have had the allergy my entire life and have been 100% vegan since I was 13. My advice for any dancer with allergies or dietary restrictions is always make sure to pack lots of food with you and always plan for your day at dance. I never go to dance with out my bag of lunch/ dinner/snacks depending on the schedule for the day. Everyone is different and what works best for each person is very individual but I feel that the more natural and unprocessed food you eat the longer and healthier you will feel and that will come out in all aspects of your life. 


One more thing:
I love to give back to my community through performances in as many public events as possible, it helps to spread the love of ballet and the arts. And I am very thankful to the community and people who support arts, dance and ballet. We could not do what we do with out the support. 


Thank you Danielle!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment