Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Day in the Life: Zoe

This new section of my blog is going to be focussing on interviews that take a sneak peek at the daily lives of ballet dancers. I hope that you find it interesting, also if there are any interview questions that you think might be suitable and you would like me to ask please feel free to add a comment below.<3




Zoe is a dancer from Sydney Australia, she is currently spending the summer at the Joffrey in NewYork. We first met three years ago at the Goh Ballet where at one point we had a hilarious time acting as the maids in Act One of the Nutcracker. As well as having absolutely stunning technique, she is one of the kindest people out there who will always bring a smile to your face. =) Alright I will start with the questions:


What does your daily schedule look like?

Well I've just moved to New York and am taking classes at the Joffrey at the moment. So on a usual day I will start the morning off with pilates followed by an open technique class, then in the afternoons there is pointe work/ variations and pas de deux.

What type of pointe shoes do you wear? How do you break them in and how fast do you go through each pair?

I wear Bloch European Balance and I go through about 1 pair every 1-2 months...European balances are quite a soft shoe to start with so I don't break them in any other way than just wearing them for class...I do like to take barre in new shoes though, because I find plies and tendus help to soften my shoes up nicely through the demi pointe. 

Favourite variation?

I love Grand Pas Classique! It is so beautifully elegant and technical.

Favourite part of class?

Pirouettes, I love the feeling of being so perfectly on centre and balanced in a turn...(on a good day)


Toughest challenge to date?

Toughest challenge to date would probably be leaving home when I was 18 to dance overseas..Leaving behind my friends, family, the life I was used to and traveling half way across the world by myself for the first time was hard! It brought with it a lot of everyday challenges like adjusting to living by myself in a new country and of course the physical and mental challenges of being in a full time ballet training course. But challenges are a good thing and they make you a stronger person! That year I learnt so much and had such an amazing experience!

Something that you wish you had known 5 years ago:

I wish I'd known how important it is, when you find the thing you love and are most passionate about in life, to not be afraid to dream big and give it your everything! 

When I was younger my dreams of becoming a professional dancer were clouded by worries that I would not be good enough even if I tried my hardest. I used to not put 100% of myself into my dancing and held back because I was scared to find out if my best was good enough. When I finally started to let myself dream and believe in my abilities, I put my whole heart in to my dancing and so many opportunities opened up to me.




It is so important to follow your dreams, love what you do and believe in yourself.

Thank you so much Zoe for your inspiration!!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment